Saturday, May 23, 2015

Boston Tweed Ride 2015

In the midst of moving, I took a 10-mile break to participate in the spring Boston Tweed Ride. Tweed Rides have become quite a trend in recent years, such that there's even a wikipedia page about them! Our local ride wound its way along the Charles River and amounted to about 60 people in a range of pretty fabulous outfits. There was also a lot of bicycle diversity: some people had original bikes from the mid-20th century, others reproductions (including a penny-farthing!), others modern road or mountain bikes, and some people were even on Hubways (our local bicycle rental program, a bit like zipcar for bikes!). It was a lovely afternoon, and I had so much fun!

My family rode bikes all the time when I was little, but then I stopped riding for a while and am just now getting back into it. It's definitely faster and easier than driving sometimes in Boston.

I didn't get many pictures, being on a bicycle, but here are the few that I captured! You can see more at the event's Facebook page.

The only picture I managed of my outfit: modern brown houndstooth blazer, WAC olive drab skirt, white blouse, brown boots. Not pictured: my red hat
socializing during our picnic stop along the waterfront

this brave soul rode a penny-farthing, which is impressively difficult (and even dangerous)!

my bike: a modern Schwinn with "retro styling"

my partner in crime looking fabulous on our picnic blanket--her yellow dress matched her yellow bicycle, so stylish!

a rather smashing ensemble
 

this pin belonged to the wearer's grandmother, and I thought it was a neat touch

sipping sparkling cider paired with stroopwafels...we know how to picnic. 

borrowed from my instagram, so there's at least one of my hat!




a crocheted skirt guard on a participant's bike--skirt guards cover the spokes on the back wheel to prevent a billowing skirt getting caught and causing a crash

No comments:

Post a Comment