Saturday, December 10, 2016

A Little Bit of Shine

One last progress post about my 1830s ensemble. I realized pretty early on that I wasn't going to get my act together on a sash like my inspiration painting, because at the point where the dress is real silk I want an actual silk tartan for the sash. And real silk tartan is hard to find over here! So I decided to pause until I could get exactly what I wanted, and in the meantime I am making a velvet belt with a buckle to wear for the ball. It will also give me some options for future wearings, because options are great.

Belt inspiration:

1832, Countess Julie von Woyna by Friedrich von Amerling
1826, Eugenie Hortense Auguste Napoleon de Beauharnais by Joseph Karl Stieler
1820s, FIDM
1832, Le Journal Des Dames et Des Modes
I did some internet searching, and found a lovely antique belt buckle on Etsy that was a good, sort-of-rectangular shape. It was super cheap, probably because it was so tarnished it was basically black! So after ensuring it was actual brass (and not just brass plated), I did some scrubbing with lemon juice and baking soda. What a difference!

upon arrival--it looks shinier here than it did in person

while polishing-I used a toothbrush and paper towel to alternate circular wiping motions and attacking the tiny crevices

good as new!
It's amazing what a difference accessories make. It really brings the ensemble together!

3 comments:

  1. That buckle is gorgeous!! Great job in making it shiny and happy again!!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina! It is so satisfying bringing old things back to life :)

      Delete
  2. Jesus, that's wonderful!!! I can't wait to see it in an ensemble! What a find<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete